2007-06-23

removed

“Once you’re labeled a married man,” says my friend Julian, 36, a commercial director and Nakedfinger (or NF) who’s been married twelve years, “you’re deprived of the attention of numerous people who might have been interested in you. They fill in all these blanks before you can establish what you’re about. You become a stereotype. If you act removed, then you’re whipped, and if you’re friendly, even innocently, then they think you’re looking to cheat.” For the record, he says he hasn’t, though I’m not sure I believe him.

Men Who Don't Wear Wedding Rings

If I act removed, that's because I'm removed. If I act friendly, that's because I want to be friendly. If people want to stereotype me, that's fine, they're not insightful enough to be interesting or for me to care what they think.

No comments: